I couldn’t even reach the end of that article without crying.. omg i’m fucking done
Somalia is the sixth country where the United States has used assassination drones to launch deadly missile strikes.
The US military has also used drones in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, Iraq, and Yemen.
Post(s) tagged with "Somalia"
I’ll try to explain this comic which portraits more or less one century of Italian history:
1) Resisting to the oppressor:
- Mussolini (the main pig) conduct State and paramilitar repression of anti-fascism (squadrismo, murdering of MP Giacomo Matteotti; persecution to death in Italy and abroad of single personalities such as liberal Piero Gobetti or Socialist brothers Carlo and Nello Rosselli, foundation of the secret police OVRA)
- Fascist war waging in 1920s-1945 (genocide of Libyan people 1930-31, invasion of Abyssinian empire 1935-36, military support to the Spanish nationalists 1936-39, invasion of the Kingdom of Albania 1939, treasonable invasion of France 1940, persecution of Italian Jews [Video], invasion of Greece 1940-41, aggression of the Yugoslavian Kingdom 1941 and invasion of Slovenia and Montenegro, intervention in the invasion of Ussr 1942, foundation of a nazi puppet-State in Northern Italy 1943). May be I forgot something;
- RESISTENZA: spontaneous resistance movements 08/09/1943-25/04/1945 (Naples, Rome, partisans republic in Central and Northern Italy valleys)
- Mussolini is killed [it is controversial whether by partisans or by English secret services MI5] and on 29/04/45 hung in Milan (at Piazzale Loreto) and exposed to the public wrath (in the same place the year before Fascists hung 14 partisans).
- After the war armed people starts executions of well-known members of the dissolved PNF (National Fascist Party), particularly in the regions of Tuscany and Emilia Romagna (this would have been a sort of revolutionary justice uprising in memory of the war suffering and of the countless massacres perpetrated in the villages -such as Marzabotto and Sant’Anna di Stazzema- on the Appenines mountains by nazi-fascist squadrons in the last year of war)
2) Resisting to a public officer:
- Palmiro Togliatti (the frog-like executive), General Secretary of the PCI (Italian Comunist Party), doubtless under the direction of Stalin, as Minister of Justice in the post-war governments conceded a general amnesty for common crimes and for those of the former fascists and colaborationists as well, including for blood crimes.
- Between the late 40s and the 50s right-wing governments hegemonized by the Catholic Democratic Party (DC) and led by Alcide De Gasperi (the predaceous vulture) and then by former Interior Minister Mario Scelba (the policepig, I guess) repressed left-wing workers movements through a new and more organized police jeep-riding commandos; they strenghtened ties with Us covered operations in Europe (Scelba create an hidden insurgent force, GLADIO, to fight communist menace) and was started the political cooperation with MAFIA in Sicily (beginning with Portella della Ginestra Massacre, 1947)
3) Passive Resistance:
- Banned by the Catholic Church in 1949 (as an atheist organization) and out marched Soviet instructions (after Hungarian repression in 1956), PCI was the most relevant structure available for the Italian working class in the 50s/60s but, unable to gain the majority in general elections and gave up revolutionarism of the early 20s, it became a huge self-centered political organism, an impossible alternative in a world splitted by the two superpowers.
- Until the end of the impressive Italian post-war economic growth working conditions became harsher and harsher: production chain and heavy industrial plantations changed Italian society and urban social structures (with a biblical internal migration from rural south to the northern cities). Working class became cohesive and self-organized, able to fight and to obtain historical successes (Hot Autumn strikes,1969-70, led to a national contract for all steel workers)
- To smash Italian social cohesion and prevent the expansion of left parties, right-wing forces, economic powers and high ranking members of police and army adopted the so called Strategy of tension, a continuous succession of terrorist acts targeting civilians (lasting from Piazza Fontana Bombing in Milan in 1969 to Bologna Massacre in 1980) that boosted the armed confrontation between far-right wing and far-left wing (Years of Lead).
4) Resist to temptetions:
- With the end of Cold War communism appeared historically discredited to the Western societies. Nonethless, in the hiatus of Italian politics due to an unheard-of corruption trial (named Tangentopoli), an event that wiped off the two main players, DC and PSI (Italian Socialist Party), from the Parliament, PCI in his reincarnation named PDS (Left Democratic Party) appeared able to gain the so longed power but in 1994 the main Italian media tycoon, Silvio Berlusconi, managed to seize the power (with the alliance of a newborn separatist racist party, Lega Nord). Berlusconi affected Italian politics in the last twenty years, even if he didn’t rule continuously.
- War intervention was anew part of national discourses in the form of “peace intervention” (Kossovo 1999, Afghanistan 2001-, Iraq 2003-2011, Libya 2011) or peacekeeping (Somalia, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Lebanon)
- Left wing policies focus now essentially on civil rights and peace while State repression appears on the basis of protection of public order (see 2001 G8 Genoa summit police violence). This is, anyway, a global tendency nowadays.
Somali students in a Quranic school using wooden slates to learn.
I have used Slates like these, with wooden pens and ink too. I was a child back then. It brings out beautiful hand writing. It would be a chore to wash ‘em off though :)
What a waste of time. I mean, school itself is full of bullshits, at the end of it we know so little about the world, it’s just indoctrination.
(Ph: Kenya’s Prime Minister Raila Odinga with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu)
Israel-Kenya deal to help fight Somalia’s al-Shabab
Israel has offered to help Kenya secure its borders as it tackles Somalia’s Islamist group, al-Shabab, the Kenyan prime minister’s office has said.
It said Kenya got the backing of Israel to “rid its territory of fundamentalist elements” during Prime Minister Raila Odinga’s visit to the country.
Last month, Kenya sent troops to neighbouring Somalia to defeat al-Shabab, which is linked to al-Qaeda.
It blames the militants for a spate of abductions on its side of the border.
In a statement, Mr Odinga’s office quotes Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as saying that “Kenya’s enemies are Israel’s enemies”.
“We have similar forces planning to bring us down,” he is is quoted as saying. “I see it as an opportunity to strengthen ties.”
At least 15 people were killed in a suicide bombing on an Israeli-owned hotel in the Kenyan coastal resort of Mombasa in 2002.
Four years earlier, more than 200 people were killed in co-ordinated bomb blasts on the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.
Al-Qaeda carried out the attacks, with some of its senior members operating from Somalia.
Mr Odinga - who is accompanied on the visit by Internal Security Minister George Saitoti - said Israel could help Kenya’s police force detect and destroy al-Shabab’s networks in Kenya.
you got to be kidding me
That is 212 famine stricken Somali’s killed in one week by United States drone attacks.
212 Somali CIVILIANS killed by US and US allies in 1 week.
Somali’s part of the 99% being killed by the 1%. OWS Stand up!
I wonder how the US will answer for “Killing innocent civilians that were already dying due to starvation and drought”
Drought crisis in horn of Africa has been the worse in 60 years, affecting mostly Somalia. UNICEF called the Somalia drought and resulting refugee crisis “the most severe humanitarian emergency in the world”. Many people (mostly children) have fallen dead on the long, dry journeys to a refugee camp. Why aren’t many people aware of this crisis? As I always say, no crisis is any less or greater than the other. The least we can do is pray for them.
There are many things that distract us from making this world a better place. We could make Tumblr a voice for real action and change, instead we seem to concentrate on things that only keep the oppressive structures in place, or we concentrate on things that actually really don’t matter and are only available for the rich few.Horn of Africa tested by severe drought
“Millions of people in the Horn of Africa are facing severe shortages of food as the worst drought in the region for six decades withers crops and kills livestock…
It often takes pastoralists at least two years to recover from a severe drought, particularly where it means building up a milking herd again.
This year’s drought has hit hard when many people have not yet recovered from the last serious drought in 2009.
And the more marginalised the communities - and many of them are - the more likely people are to be pushed over the edge.
On top of this, the cost of food is higher than at any time since the price crisis of three years ago.
This deeply alarming combination of factors has resulted in acute malnutrition affecting 35-40% of children under five in a lot of places, according to aid officials - twice the threshold that requires an emergency response.
Icaro Doria, a Brazilian man, working for a magazine in Portugal started this campaign using real data from the UN and flag images, he’s created whats known as Meet the World. The colors within the flags from its respective country are used to represent current, geographical relevant issues. Take a look.
Loading more posts
I cannot give a definition about myself. I'm a changing phenomenon like you.
I cannot give a definition about myself. I'm a changing phenomenon like you.
Ask me anything Submit